Thursday, October 04, 2007

International Space Station transit!

I had heard on the radio today that the ISS was going to be transiting Maryland at 7:55 pm, and I mentioned this to Mary as we went out for our evening walk. It was amazing that a meteorologist actually talked about the night sky as well as the weather! Mary got excited and we scouted out a good place to have some night sky view in our neighborhood. That isn't easy, since we have so many trees. Anyway, we walked around, and wound up passing the house again, and Mary stuck her head in to ask if the Twins would like to view it. Samuel took her up on it. We walked up to the empty area, and started looking up. It came out of the southwest sky and move northeasterly. It appeared very bright, brighter than Jupiter, and moved across the sky in about 3 1/2 minutes. Wow. A fitting celebration for the 50th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik I.

3 comments:

Chile said...

James, I've nominated you for a brand new blogger award called "Change begins at home". Come check out the details on my blog. It's been great to watch you transform your yard into a huge garden!

James said...

Wow! Chile, I didn't even realize that there was anyone outside of my family reading this blog. That is why I've put such things up. Glad to know that there are people out there that are reading it, and doing something to make changes in their own lives.

Chile said...

I think I originally found your blog from a comment you left on Katie's. (And no fair nominating her, too. Hope she enjoys the double-honor! hehe) Check back to your post a month ago and you'll see my comment about your shredded mulch in the garden.

Keep up the good work, James.