Tuesday, October 21, 2008

More 'Shrooms!

That log I brought inside over the weekend has decided to fruit! There are mushroom buds coming out in many different places on the log. I have a large clear lawn-and-garden bag draped over the log to provide additional moisture retention. It seems to be working.

I showed Samuel the mushroom buttons coming out and he seemed excited. Miriam was not thrilled, or at least she didn't seem so.

I'm very excited that we'll have fresh 'shrooms for our dinner this week. And if we have too many, I'll dry what we can't use right away. I'll have to let the log rest for a couple of months, then I'll see if I can get it to fruit again.

Not bad for waiting a year to let the fungus grow in the log!Lentinula edodes: Shiitake

I plugged them last year with Lentinula edodes spawn. That's the Latin name for Shiitake mushrooms.

Here is a picture I found on the net that shows what a fruiting log looks like!

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Very interesting!

Mary said...

Okay, I know several people who decorate their kitchens with mushrooms, but I think they use ceramic ones. . .

But this does make me very popular with my Japanese colleagues at school. The fresh shiitake were delicious in the soup last week! And the logs will make "interesting" decorations for our Halloween party next week. . .

Glad to be sharing your simple life!