Wednesday, August 03, 2011

Choosing a simple life vs. advertising.

I was reading this blog this morning, and found myself thinking about the simple life I choose.

Deep in the comments section of that blog above, I found people questioning why they might feel marginalized by the consumerist society at large.

Well, I have the answer and it isn't pretty.  Advertisers and merchandisers and producers will do everything, ethical or not so ethical, to marginalize those who chose a different path from the one they want.

Examples:

1.  Microsoft vs. Apple advertisements.  Apple makes Microsoft users out to be nerdy geeks, while the Apple user is cool, hip, and "normal".  This kind of advertising makes for a desire to belong in the "in" crowd.

2.  Sex sells.  Always.  Advertisers will figure out ways to sell the most un-sexy stuff with sexy advertising.  Why?  Because it works.  Just the inference that if I use product X, I'll get more sex, makes that product somehow better.  Don't believe me?  Ask yourself why advertisers use airbrushed photos of women in magazine advertisements.

3.  Why are basic society mores devalued by advertisers?  Because if everyone pulled their heads out of the advertising for too long, their products wouldn't sell.  Good, just, people who choose to spend time with friends and loved ones, aren't out shopping, watching movies, consuming music, or surfing the internet and seeing all the other advertising that they have paid for.

I'll stop here. Piling on too much is not good.

Until next time,
Live simply that other's may live.

No comments: