Sunday, July 01, 2007

Restful Weekend.

I had one of those.

I didn't do much of anything that was scheduled, planned or otherwise anticipated. Down time. Free to do whatever struck my fancy.

So, I baked a couple of logs. Yep, that's right, baked them. It was a small piece of oak branch, and an inch thick slab sawn off of a bigger log. After they were baked in a 300 degree F. oven for about an hour, I took them out to cool. I then drilled holes in them to attach them so that the slab would be on the bottom, and the oak stick/log would be upright. After all of that (and 3 deck screws to make sure it stayed together) I rescued my poor dieing dendrobium orchid. It was a victim of over watering. I left it in the pot for too long and the bark was breaking down and suffocating it. Anyway, I tied a patch of sphagnum moss to the oak log, then set about tying the orchid to the log, careful to not kill what few roots were left.
This I do for fun!

Anyway, the orchid should do much better now that it won't rot. (I treated all of the trimmed root ends with an anti-fungal/bacterial - cinnamon.) I will have to make sure that the orchid gets watered often, and check to make sure it is growing well. Hopefully it will live. If not, I'll have to try again!

That was Saturday's big project. Ok, little project. The community college had fireworks Saturday night, and that was a good show, since we live only 10 walking minutes from there. Mary and I went with a neighbor and had a fine time. Oddly, neither twin wanted to go... Hmmm. Are they growing up?

Sunday was spent reading and generally goofing off. I did get a few loads of laundry done, and some beans planted and gardens watered, but aside from that... just a relaxing July 1st!

Next week: Work at paying job for 2 days, Tuesday evening send Mary to Colorado to take care of her sister's kids while her sister goes to Africa on business, no work on Wednesday, work 2 more days, then have another weekend. Life is good!

No comments: