Sunday, November 23, 2008

Simplicity for Simplicity's Sake

I've been thinking often about my simple life. Some would say that my life isn't simple at all. But I think it is.

I refrain from watching TV, which gives me enormous flexibility in my time.

I cook my own low-fat, plant-based vegetarian meals. Some would say that is way too complicated, but like all things practice makes it easy.

I enjoy working in the garden. There is always something to do. This weekend, I've been mulching leaves that I scavenged from the neighbors leaf raking efforts. They so nicely bag them up, and then I come along and grab up the bags full, and take them home, and run them under my mulching mower. I then spread them over my garden beds about 2 to 4 inches deep. Not hard work, but it does fill the day.

I enjoy exercising with Mary. Our afternoon walks are a joy, even when the weather turns colder. We have a "hand holding" glove specially made so that we can hold hands inside it. Simple joy there.

Other simple joys.
A fire in the fireplace in the autumn chill.

A hot cup of tea to warm me on the inside.

Hot banana bread, fresh from the oven.

Warm waffles with pecans and real maple syrup.

Minestrone soup with home-grown Swiss chard.

A clean kitchen with counters clear so that I can easily cook.

Looking in my love's eyes, and enjoying her smile, a mirror of my own.

Keep it Simple, Silly!

No comments: