Tuesday, June 12, 2007

The Rain Barrels are Full!

I've been enjoying the rain this afternoon. The storm came about 5 pm, plenty of time to enjoy the rain. It did water the garden quite well, and filled up the half-full barrels. We are topped up now both in the ground water and the barrels. That is so cool! The pond too is almost to the top as well. We've put it out to our friends (and the Universe) in general that we would like some frogs for the pond. We have one little frog, but that seems to be it.

I have damp clothes now from walking around the house in the light rain. I couldn't wait to check out the yard! I'm so excited with everything, and how well it is growing.

We had some of the environmentally conscious Friends over for a garden tour last evening. They seemed much impressed with what we've done here. They didn't seem to believe me when I said that it was fun, and not too much work. I also tried to tell them that I have been working in this general direction of soil building for the last 3 years. It shows too. There aren't many places we can did out in the gardens where we don't disturb many earthworms at a time. I demonstrated that to the Friends last night, and they were impressed! Since some still have yards, lawns and such, use chemicals (pesticides and fertilizers) and have managed to kill off most of their worms, and beneficial insects.

With this rain, the slugs will come out and give us a chance to do some slug picking. I've noticed that the slugs don't bother the plants that are growing in wild profusion! Just the little ones we would like to eat later.

I planted 2 pounds of cover crop seed - White clover since I read Masanobu Fukuoka's interview in Mother Earth News Archives. I really like the internet. Anyway, he said to use white clover as a cover crop, and an inter-crop because it was the best one he had tried. So I went out on Saturday and put 2 pounds of seed around, and have been waiting for the rain to come... and grow our clover. Even the asparagus beds will have clover soon! The asparagus will come up over/through it and will be even healthier. If the clover gets out of hand, I'll just chop it off and let it be worm-food! If I want to plant other things, I'll just pull out some clover, plant the new plant or seeds and let them go. It will be a wild experiment by far.

Anyway, I'm excited because it rained. I'm excited because of the garden growing so well (the strawberries were fantastic! and more are still coming.) I'm excited to be alive. But most of all, I'm excited to be Mary's.

No comments: