Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Veterans Day Weekend

Mary and I had a getaway weekend last weekend.

We left on Friday about 11, after her student left, and had a lovely drive down to Appomattox County. We stayed in a lovely B&B by the name of Spring Grove Farm. We stayed in the Library, where a large Murphy bed was installed on one wall. The B&B was amazing, as it took 14 years to restore/build to its current glory. The hosts were wonderful, and very accommodating. Mary and I very much enjoyed our stay.

The reason we were down there, besides getting away from Annapolis for a weekend, was to look at the community, and the area for places to settle down when the kids leave. We enjoyed driving around the county, and seeing all there was to see. The land there is beautiful, but not as striking as the mountains. The hills are often covered with trees, dotted with pastures, and small creeks.

Mary and I had no trouble finding places to eat, as vegetarians. The restaurants there were happy to accommodate to us. I shocked the Chinese American who served us dinner Saturday evening, because we ordered 2 vegetarian dishes, instead of having the heavily meat-laden buffet. When he brought our order, he asked, "You Vegetarian?" When we replied that we were, he went on to tell us that in China, only the Buddhist monks were vegetarian. When I told him that I was Buddhist, his jaw about hit the floor! He couldn't believe it and asked 3 times. I suppose he hadn't met a white American Buddhist before! There is a first time for everything, isn't there! I'm doing my part to keep diversity alive and well in America! Anyway the food was excellent.

We returned home well rested and looking forward to our next trip, Christiansburg on Friday!

No comments: