Thursday, February 15, 2007

Snow, Ice, Freezing Rain!

We had it all. And then the winds came. We lost power yesterday, Valentine's Day, at about 8:12. Miriam told us it was 8:12 when her radio stopped radio-ing. Anyway, I got up (I was already excused from work due to the freezing rain) and started a fire in the fireplace. I was determined to keep us from freezing to death for however long it took, or until we ran out of firewood.
We had a lovely Valentine's Day. More on that later. Anyway we played games with the kids, read books, and generally enjoyed each other's company. All the while keeping the fire roaring along. Mary and I went for a walk around the neighborhood, just as the temperature fell down below freezing yesterday evening. We found several downed trees and such around the neighborhood, but mostly just branches and small stuff Most of the largest trees were taken down last winter, and I guess there weren't many ready to come down this winter. We looked in on a few of our elderly neighbors, and made sure that they had things under control. The kids made S'mores over the fire.
The kids slept in the living room, on our lovely Persian rug in their sleeping bags. Unfortunately the kids let the fire go out during the night, and it was very chilly this morning. I got up and got the fire started, but we had lost ground during the night. It never really got up above chilly all day. We were wearing many layers of clothes and the wonderful knit caps that Mom made for all of us. We bundled up, and stayed warm.
Work was delayed by 4 hours today, and I went in around 10:30. I had made soup before I went in, and it was finished when I got home.
BG&E had the power restored by about 5:45. That made for a long time without power. Each time something like this happens, it only makes me more determined to be self sufficient on the energy front, at least the household things like heat, power, and hot water.
We were very lucky, none of our trees lost any big branches, and the garden is safely put to bed under the snow and ice. I will have to take the tiger grass down, and toss it on the compost heap after the snow melts.

About Valentine's Day surprise:
Last weekend, when Mary went on her retreat, I had lots of time to plan my gifts for Mary. Mary had enjoyed the peanut butter fudge I made for Christmas, so I had an idea. Peanut Butter Cups! But better, VEGAN peanut butter cups. So I took semi-sweet vegan chocolate, melted in a bag in the microwave, and set about making peanut butter cups. I was quite proud of how they turned out, and then set off to get a box to make a beautiful presentation to Mary on Valentine's Day. I didn't have any idea that we wouldn't have power for most of it! Anyway, I also made a compilation CD of several love songs that she can listen to when she gets the chance. The funny story is that I could barely wait to give all of this to Mary. I had a really hard time keeping it hidden and not mentioning anything to her. So Tuesday night, I asked her if she wanted her Valentine's Day gift before I left for work, or after I got home. She didn't answer me then. So when my alarm went off, I had called in to work and found out that I didn't have to go in due to the weather, I told Mary I couldn't stand it anymore, so I hopped out of bed, and went and got her the presents. I think she liked them! It was kinda hard to tell, since it was about 5:30 in the morning, and Mary was still sleepy! She said she loves them, and me! Life is good!

1 comment:

Mary said...

Seems to me you left a bit off your description of what you did while I was gone. . .

I do love you! And I very much appreciate my Valentine's gifts.

BTW all, the peanut butter cups are even better than the fudge alone!

Am I the luckiest girl in the world, or what???