Monday, December 17, 2007

Surgical removal of Television

Some folks have TVs in every room in the house. There are special models for bedrooms, family rooms, kitchens, and game rooms. Big screens for Home Theaters, and small screens for a spare bedroom. Well, our house has only one TV, and it is pretty old. I has a built-in VHS player, and the reds wash into the blues, making for interesting pictures to watch. Anyway, Mary and I don't watch TV very much, but the kids like to turn it on sometimes.

Here is the catch. One of our kids (who will remain nameless in this post, but you know who you are...) has had some scholastic challenges this year, and has lost the electronic entertainments at our house. Everyone in the house knows what loss of electronic entertainment means. No TV viewing for the person, until the grades come back within standard. So, I've come home from work or from being out for this and that 3 times now, and found the TV on, being watched (or having been watched) by the child who knew that it was off limits.
The first time, I discussed it with Mary and decided that appropriate action would be to remove the TV from everyone, but I procrastinated on that, not wanting to inflict the lack of TV on the child who has no restrictions. When it happened the second time, I confronted the child, hoping that the child would change behavior after being confronted, saving me from having to take drastic action. For a couple of weeks this seems to have worked.
Or so I thought until today.
I came home from work, and found the kids listening to my Mannheim Steamroller V album... The same one I had listened to yesterday. Oh, and it had just started. I grew suspicious. I asked the kids if they had been watching TV. They replied, "Yes." Both kids knew that one of them was not supposed to be watching TV. The child who was not supposed to be watching TV seemed rather smug about it also. I asked them calmly and nicely what they had been watching. They said, "Sabrina". I then asked if they had enjoyed it. And again they said, "Yes."
To their credit, they didn't add lying to the situation. If only they had hit the off button on the stereo, instead of the CD button... Good ol' James wouldn't have been any the wiser...

So I came upstairs, took off my shoes, and then very calmly went back to the family room, and began to remove the TV. Both kids watched. Neither said a word. I unplugged the TV, coiled the cord around it, and picked it up and carried it downstairs. It now sits on a chair in the storage area that used to be Eliza's room. Unplugged and unwatchable.
I came back upstairs, as if this was normal, not having raised my voice, not having shouted, not having done anything but remove the TV, and apologized to the child who has now lost TV also. That child will now suffer TV loss because of the siblings disobedience.

The TV may come back when/if Mary and I want to watch a movie, but then it will be taken back downstairs. When the grades come back up to standard, the TV may come back. Until that time, the TV is officially on vacation.

No comments: