Sunday, January 06, 2008

I will not tell a lie...

I did not chop down the cherry tree. But I did salvage the wood from the one that fell down across the street! It fell down in my neighbor's driveway, narrowly missing the corner of her house. She had a fella come by and cut it into firewood lengths, and stack the big logs up in her yard. She was kind enough to allow me to take the wood off her hands. So I spent the afternoon splitting, then wheelbarrowing the wood to my woodpile. It will be lovely to burn next winter, after it has seasoned well.

I'm still using the cherry wood from the tree that went down a year and a half ago. I've used up most of that, and will be working on the poplar that we salvaged from the ice storm last winter.

This keeps me from spending $200 or so for a cord of wood, most of which I won't use until next year. If more trees go down around here, my wood pile will get bigger.

1 comment:

Mary said...

I do love you, James!

I'm glad you derive such pleasure from simple things like fallen trees and free firewood. And cherry wood smells so good when you burn it in our fireplace!

It's good to be living an abundant life with you!