Monday, March 17, 2008

Garden Goings-on

Well, it isn't spring yet... but tell that to the crocuses, the daffodils, and the forsythia!

Oh, and me. I have that spring fever thing going. I was out in the gardens for most of the weekend.

On Saturday, I pulled out all of the pachysandra that was growing on the driveway side of the sidewalk. A little patch that is "fenced in" by the handrail. I spent many hours pulling and transplanting the crocuses that were in the way, and a couple of hosta crowns that are just starting to point. I got it all pulled out, and found the holly bush stump about halfway up the little hill. I dug and chopped and pulled on it until it came loose. I'm saving it for garden art. I have it propped up along the sunny side of the house so that it can dry. It should last a long time in the sun!

After I had all the plants removed (and a few cantelope sized rocks) I brought 4 huge wheelbarrows full of compost from the back yard. This stuff has been sitting and cooking for over a year. And wow was it wonderful looking stuff! Earthworms just having a ball in it.
I spread the compost over the soil, and used my shovel to work it into the first 3 inches of soil or so.
At this point I noticed that this would be the perfect time to add to the cinder block wall. But I didn't have cinder blocks, and didn't want to go through mortaring them in, either. But I did have a lot of pieces of concrete rectangular stepping stones. So I wheeled them down from the pile, and after clearing the soil from the top of the old cinder block wall, proceeded to dry lay 5 courses of these on top of that low wall. They will only have to hold back about 10 inches of soil in that location, and I will make sure that I maintain it. I know it could slump if the soil gets too high. But I'm watching that closely. The wall turned out well, and looks pretty good! I love reusing something that I already have.

After I got the stones laid, I backfilled them a bit and then went to the garden center to get a bale of straw. I returned and then used the straw as my top mulch. I don't like leaving any soil bare for very long, since wind and water come along and steal my good earth. So keeping the soil covered is always a good idea. Besides, the earthworms like the insulation to keep on doing their thing!

That was enough for one day.

Sunday rolled around, and I did little chores after the rain stopped. I fixed our pea trellis (and planted peas later in the day.) I cut bamboo poles for the tomato trellis (where we planted peas too!) I also cut up some cardboard to make more worm bedding for my vermicompost bins.

Wow, looking back on it, that was good bit of stuff for one weekend. And I did it at my own pace, and enjoyed the beautiful weather!

No comments: