Sunday, March 02, 2008

"Spring" planting

I started planting the 2008 garden this afternoon.

Here in Maryland we are zone 6 now, and getting warm enough to work some plants in. I start with onions and shallots. I'll be planting garlics soon too. My order of onion sets came in this week. I planted roughly 360 onions and about 45 shallots. The onions were about 120 red, about 120 white and about 120 yellow onions. Hopefully they will grow well.

I was finishing up planting the last of the white onion sets, when Mary came out to go for our walk. I was working in the soil under our big cypress tree. The same soil that the bamboo had depleted. Mary said that at least we know how to build topsoil. She is hoping for lots of good food from our gardens this year.

I get this way every spring. Bursting at the seams to get the garden going, but still way in the danger of frost. So, I'll figure out a way to get some seeds started and get them ready. I think I may work up a cold frame here real soon. That would give me the sheltered gardening area that I need to get my seeds started.

I also discussed the fact that the hedges on the side of our front yard block out some of the afternoon light. I now have permission to make them much shorter hedges. So I'll take care of that one of these spring afternoons when Mary is working on her schoolwork.

No comments: