Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Labor Day Weekend

Kyle decided to come up to visit for the 3 day weekend. I picked him up on Saturday morning.

Mary didn't want to go, so Kyle and I went hiking on Sunday afternoon. We went up to Patapsco Valley State Park and had a good hike. We must have hiked about 6 miles. We first hiked across the "Swinging Bridge" a 300 foot steel cable suspension footbridge. Really cool! Kyle and I had fun jumping on the bridge and feeling the waves of motion make the bridge come up to meet our feet as we walked. Interesting sensation! We then followed the Cascade Trail, up along one of the creeks. It was rocky and steep going, not as steep as some hikes in the Appalachians, but still fun. We crossed the creek several times on the trail, but we kept dry somehow. Kyle dipped his hand into the rushing water, and discovered just how cold water can be in September! It was funny to see the look on his face when his hand touched the water.
We came back down the Cascade Trail and had out peanut butter sandwiches, potato chips and bananas, then walked another trail!
It was great fun, and Kyle and I both enjoyed the beautiful scenery and the beautiful day. I love that boy!

On another note. I seem to have really screwed up with Mary this weekend. Mary is done scheduling her time around visits with Kyle. She has washed her hands with scheduling Kyle time. She says it is totally up to me to deal with Kyle on any choices he makes on whether or not to come up to visit me.
I also heard from her that I trapped her here this weekend with my expectations and hopes of having both her and Kyle together with me, happily. She has made it clear that when Kyle is here, she won't be around. She doesn't want to say something inappropriate to Kyle. So it will just be Kyle and I when he is here. I have no idea what Mary will be planning to do during those times, but that is her choice. I did not mean to emotionally trap Mary here and cause her such pain. My own need for her and Kyle to get along overshadowed her need to protect herself. I regret that now, and realize that instead of loving her with an open hand, I was trying to clutch her too close to me. I am releasing my hold on her. If she stays, she wants to, if she goes, she wants to. Her decision. I would like her to stay, but that is my desire. I love you Mary.

No comments: