Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Trees Trimming, wood chips and resources

It started a couple of days ago when Mary and I noticed that some of the next-door neighbor's trees were leaning at a not-natural angle. They were poplars, and once they tip, they are going to go! So the neighbor hired a tree company to come and take them down. Well, long story short, 7:15 this am and they woke Mary up with chainsaws going! They took down the trees and chipped them up. Well, as many who have read this blog know, I do a little bit of gardening. And free wood chips are like free gold! I have about 15 cubic yards of chips in the driveway. Mary is wonderful. She also asked the tree fellow if they could do some work on our tree, since they already had a crew out here, and they said sure. Our oak tree had some dead branches, and one branch that had been damaged in the heavy snowstorm earlier this year. It needed to have those branches come down. So they did that for us too! And $150 later, our tree is much safer!

Mary asked if I wanted to put chips down over the grass in the front garden. And before she could change her mind, I mowed it one last time (took about 6 minutes with the electric mower) and laid lots of cardboard boxes down to keep the weeds from coming up through the chips. Then I put down about 4 to 6 inches of chips on top of that. Oh, and I wet down the cardboard first. That helps it for a shape to the ground, and keep from slipping. Now it is up to the worms to do their thing and eat all the dying weeds under the cardboard and wood chip path.

After I did that, I went back to digging the blueberry bed, so that we have a hope of actually getting that done before Dad and Mom get up here. I moved about 6 wheelbarrow loads of gravels out, and started to dig down. But I noticed that it was getting on to dark, and I really needed a shower. So in I came, and will do some more on it tomorrow, weather permitting.
I figure that a little bit every day, and I'll get it done. Its a hobby! (obsession) way of life!

No comments: