Sunday, September 24, 2006

More yardwork

Lovely day to get stuff done.

Hmmm. Got up, made apple cinnamon muffins, baked a cherry pie (had the oven already hot, might as well use the energy.) Drove kids to church, dug and mixed and filled 2 more holes for the blueberry bed. I have about 3 to go, and hope to have it finished this week. I may have to get a few bags of composted steer manure to finish it off, but I'm going to get it done. If Mary is lucky, she will find a stable that will let us have some manure too. We are going to need about 3 more truck-loads for the gardens.
Anyway, I have another dehydrator full of apples drying, and have made apple butter, and now working on the second pot of apple sauce. Mary and I went on a walk around the neighborhood as we like to do, and found one neighbor putting grass clippings out to the curb for pickup, conveniently bagged. We chatted with John for a few minutes and he asked if we were the ones who took his grass clippings 3 weeks ago. Yes, we did! Guilty as suspected. He was happy that little mystery was solved. We came back home, got the station wagon, went back to his place and picked up all the bags of leaves/grass and brought them home. It took 2 trips to his house, and another 2 trips to another house that bags leaves and puts them out also. We have lots of bags in the front garden, and I'll get them put away here soon. They go up on the compost pile, or around trees, or on top of raised beds, but mulch is mulch, and grass clippings are good for nitrogen!

I'm pretty tired, but it was a good day.

Mary and I sat down and played a round of Skip-Bo with the kids, and Samuel won. It was fun.

This morning when the muffins came out of the oven, I was telling Samuel that there were hot muffins, "Get 'em while they're hot!" Hot Muffins! Fresh Home-made hot muffins! MMMM Hot and Fresh! Fresh Muffins! By that time, Samuel was getting annoyed, so I sang, "Do you know the Muffin Man, the Muffin Man? Do you know the Muffin Man who lives on Beechwood Rd?" And that song seriously stuck in the boy's head ALL day! It was funny.

Now the kids are reading quietly in the living room. It looks to be a quiet night at home.
I'm planning on reading and going to bed early, so that I can get lots of rest. I need the energy to dig the rest of the blueberry bed tomorrow.

Did I mention it was a good day!

No comments: